- Posted by Sanderson Lincoln
- On September 7, 2016
Fall is a beautiful time of year to take a road trip. While going out of town to appreciate the American scenery is always a good reason to get out, fall foliage makes it that much better. If you’re looking for a beautiful route to take this fall, here are a few of the most handsome drives that the US has to offer, both near and far.
- Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway, New Mexico: You don’t have to venture far from home to find gorgeous fall foliage. Take this 83-mile scenic loop during late September through early October to enjoy orange aspens, purple cinquefoil and cottonwoods in a variety of stunning colors.
- Aspen, Colorado: The Rocky Mountains are known for beautiful fall foliage, and this mountain town is named for the type of tree that makes it such a popular fall destination. In particular, be sure to visit Maroon Bells and the White River National Forest, a popular place for fall foliage viewing and photography. Expect to take a shuttle bus to and from the area if you go on the weekend, as this spot is so popular that traffic in September must be restricted to prevent congestion and pollution.
- West Elk Loop Scenic and Historic Byway, Colorado: If you’re looking for a longer route filled with plenty of spectacular scenery and fall foliage, you’ll want to check out the West Elk Loop. Take Highway 135 toward Crested Butte from Gunnison, connecting with Highway 133 and then to the West Elk Loop. This scenic route will give you fall views of the Blue Mesa Reservoir and the Black Canyon.
- Columbia River Gorge, Oregon: If you’re willing to drive a bit farther than Colorado, check out the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. This 80-mile route offers breathtaking views from mid-September to mid-October. If you’re looking for an adventure beyond what you can experience from the comfort of your car, you can stop for a break, a hike or even a little river rafting.
- The Catskills, New York: This famous area of New York is known for its fall foliage through the end of October. It may be a long haul, but with six river systems, 35 large peaks and wooded mountainsides, you’ll find the destination to be well worth the drive.
Of course, your road trip will only be as good as the car you take. Reliability is key, as nothing ruins a vacation faster than getting stranded on the side of the road. Comfort is also important, since you will be spending many hours in the car. To find your next road trip-worthy vehicle, stop into our Phoenix Lincoln dealership today.